Blog Tour - White Collared Part Three: Revenge by Shelly Bell ~Double Review, Ten Fun Facts & Giveaway!
*I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review
In this third installment, my list of suspects got shorter. But the question still remains in my mind, is he the real killer? Or was my main suspect this whole time the actual killer?
So in this book we become one hundred percent sure that the killer is out to get Kate. This causes Nick's (over)protective instincts to go all out. At this point, I don't trust him at all and at times makes me uncomfortable on how close he gets to Kate. I know they are friends, I guess, but come on! Getting major creepy vibes from him at this point.
We also get more information on what causes Kate's panic attacks and what was it that happened in her past that traumatized her so much (which is actually connected to her panic attacks). I had been coming to my own conclusions about it through this series, so it was nice to finally have the complete story.
Jaxon also comes clean about his connection to one of the victims and I sighed in relief. Even though I hadn't connected much to him in book one, I absolutely adore him in this one.
By the end of the book, I knew there was more to who killed those women, or is there more to it? I don't know. I'm still reeling from that twist at the end, so anything can happen in the next and final White Collared installment!
Also, I do wish the BDSM aspect of the book would've been taken to the next level in this one, but I'm looking forward to see what happens between Jaxon and Kate in the next one.
If you're looking for a sexy, mysterious, and quick read that will have you second-guessing who the killer is, this one is for you!
“He commanded her body, possessed her heart, and touched her soul.”
*I received an ARC via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.”
Part three continues on from the cliff hanger we were left with, the entire pace of the book is kicked up a notch and you can just feel the tension and suspense bubbling away. Kate’s life is in danger after a case of mistaken identity and Jaxon and Nick step up security. Both men are still going head to head for Kate’s affections.
So far, physically Jaxon was winning and their connection continued to be explosive. So much so that Kate began to let her guard down and allow Jaxon to take her beyond her hard limits.
“To give her body was easy. To give a piece of her heart was more difficult. But tonight she was gifting him a part of her soul. He’d wormed his way into it the last time they’d made love, and now she’d hand him a piece to carry within his own.”
Kate’s past finally came tumbling out, I must admit I concocted something more sordid in my head so when they truth was revealed, I felt deep sympathy for Kate as it so clearly affected her life every day. But by baring her soul to Jaxon, it did bring them closer together as well as confirming Jaxon’s fiercely protective side.
“I don’t understand. What do you want from me?”
Everything. Every breath. Every thought. Every smile. Every damned tear.” His eyes darkened. “I won’t share you. Not with Nick. Not with anyone.” He nuzzled her neck. “If another man breathes the same air as you, I want to rip his lungs out. Break his nose so he can’t inhale the sweet perfume of your arousal. Blind him so he won’t see you smile. Burn his hands so he’ll never touch you. I want all of you.”
One scene in the story felt out of place for me, perhaps it was messing up my fantasy for Jaxon and Kate but I felt it was out of character for both of them, for Kate to experiment in such a way and for Jaxon to allow it. He made it clear he didn’t share and I just felt it pulled me from the story as I spent too much time thinking about this particular scene and why that had to be the only way for Kate to obtain information. I wanted Jaxon to flex his muscles at that point and go all caveman!
I was quietly confident that I had picked the killer but the plot is so full of twists and turns that I began to question my choice and everybody became a suspect. I liked the fact I was kept on high alert, it increased the excitement of the story and I trusted no one. Well apart from Jax, I always trusted him from day one. I could tell he had always been genuine with Kate and she sparked something inside of him that he had never felt before.
“You looked at me. . .like I was a hero. And for a brief second, I felt like one. Not a man who needed his wife’s money to set him up with a business. Not a man who lived in a house that never felt like a home. Not a man who’d failed to save his wife. You made me believe my life was beginning at a time when it felt like my life was ending. My second chance to do it right.”
The story is blazing ahead at full speed and I really can’t wait to read the concluding part to discover if my hunch has been right from the beginning. It’s finally time to get those all important answers.
Ten Fun Facts about White Collared
1. It was inspired by a real Michigan murder.
2. I began writing it in response to the ill-informed and prejudicial media reports which sensationalized the case due to the alleged suspect’s involvement in the BDSM lifestyle.
3. I created the sex club, Benediction, from rumors I’ve heard throughout the years that a similar exclusive club exists in Metro-Detroit.
4. White Collared is a murder mystery. See if you can figure it out!
5. There’s a love triangle between the heroine Kate Martin, her boss Nick Trenton, and her client Jaxon Deveroux. Will you be #TeamJaxon or #TeamNick? I was rooting for both of them. Together.
6. Kate is from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and while she’s worked hard to get rid of her accent, in her head (and mine), she sounds a bit like Marge from the movie, Fargo.
7. Kate rides a Harley. To work. In winter.
8. Everybody in the book has a secret. Just remember that.
9. As I wrote, I pictured Henry Cavill in the role of Jaxon Deveroux. He’s in Metro-Detroit this summer along with Ben Affleck (with whom I share a birthday) shooting Batman vs. Superman. I’m thinking of stalking them.
10. I didn’t write the book and chop it into pieces to bilk readers out of their hard-earned money. Trust me, I’m a reader too, and I love reading serials! I wrote it as a serial to increase the excitement of the reading experience and stimulate both mind and body.
SHELLY BELL writes sensual romance and erotic thrillers with high-emotional stakes for her alpha heroes and kiss-ass heroines. She began writing upon the insistence of her husband who dragged her to the store and bought her a laptop. When she’s not practicing corporate law, taking care of her family, or writing, you’ll find her reading the latest smutty romance.
Shelly is a member of Romance Writers of America and International Thriller Writers.
Sign-up for Shelly’s Newsletter