I'm going to totally cheat by just grouping together series because I CAN'T just pick ONE if the whole series is awesome, right? ;-D ***
In no particular order, here are my Top 14 of 2014:
1. The Original Sinners series (Red & White Years) by Tiffany Reisz - Oh my goodness! This series is SOO different from anything I have ever read. Every single book in the series hit me a different way, but just as amazing!
2. Monsters in the Dark series by Pepper Winters- This series cemented my love for all things dark romance.
3. Night Owl by M.Pierce- Dirty, dirty, dirty with a unique storyline that left me reeling for days after I finished reading it!
4. Dust to Dust & Dirty Angels by Karina Halle- I pretty much loved EVERYTHING she wrote this year each one for different reasons!!! I just finished The Pact and it was just as good. Can't wait to see what she comes up with next!
5. Opposition & Sentinel by Jennifer L. Armentrout- I also loved everything JLA wrote this year and both of these conclusions were awesome! Looking forward to 2015!
6. Addicted series & Calloway Sisters series by Krista & Becca Ritchie- Emotional and unique! My heart was pounding page after page on both of these series!
7. Reclaiming the Sand by A. Meredith Walters- One of the most beautiful stories I have read in a while with such unique characters! Just thinking about this book is giving me the feels all over again!
8. The Evolution series by Starla Huchton- A new adult superhero series?! Just as awesome as that sounds!
9. Deliver series by Pam Godwin- Another dark romance that I absolutely fell in love with (even though I felt kinda guilty for loving it so much lol)
10. Veiled Innocence by Ella Frank- Such great writing and plot! Student/teacher romance like you've never seen before! I often find myself going back in and re-reading my favorite scenes...
11. Condemned series by Gemma James- Dark romance that also left me feeling like I shouldn't be liking, but I DID! It kept me on my toes from beginning to end!
12. Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover- CoHo is one of my go-to favorite authors and this book, although different from her previous books, was amazing!
13. Beyond Shame by Kit Rocha- Erotic dystopia, you say? So so good! The sexiness and dirtiness of an erotic book in a dystopian world like nothing you've seen before!
14. Gypsy Brothers series by Lili St. Germain- Oh my! Book one broke me and as the series continued I became immersed in the Gypsy Brothers world. A world like nothing I have read about before!
These are my top reads of 2014 in no particular order:
1) Kiss the sky by Krista and Becca Ritchie – This book cemented my love for these authors. I am #TeamCobolloway all the way!
2) The Gypsy Brothers Series by Lili St. Germain – I admit book one made me squirm but it kept me coming back for more. I loved this series.
3) Reasonable Doubt by Whitney G. – Oh Andrew and his cocky mouth, one of my favourite male characters ever.
4) Hothouse Flower by Krista and Becca Ritchie – Again, I loved this writing duo. You get a full family of stories wrapped up in one book.
5) After This Night by Lauren Blakely – This book blew Lauren’s previous ones out of the water for me. Her writing was flawless.
6) Twisted Together by Pepper Winters – Q and Tess’ journey ended in perfection for me. I adore Pepper’s writing.
7) Better When He’s Bad by Jay Crownover – I loved this grittier side to Jay and I can’t wait to continue on this journey with her and these characters.
8) Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover – Colleen Hoover breaks me a little more with each book. I cried hard with this one.
9) Breathe by Kristen Ashley – This was the year I discovered KA and I’m glad I did. I loved everything about this story.
10) Saving Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia – I feel like I have a history with these characters. The ending was perfect in my eyes.
11) The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon – Just when I think Amy Harmon can’t top her last read she surpasses my expectations once again. Amazing.
12) Before Jamaica Lane by Samantha Young – It took a very special couple and a very special tale to top Braden and this one done it for me.
13) Blind Obsession by Ella Frank – I wish I had discovered this book sooner. It’s nothing like I’ve ever read and I was up until 4am finishing it; absolutely fantastic.
14) Rush by Nyrae Dawn – This book was heart warming and real, it was the m/m I had been looking for. A job well done.
2014 was a great year for some amazing books. Here’s to even better reads in 2015!
In no particular order, here are my Top 14 of 2014:
1. Dusty Innocents by Mary Elizabeth and Sarah Elizabeth-This series is brilliant. And so are the authors that wrote this. I still haven’t recovered from being in the world of Dusty and Bliss. I was emotional, overwhelmed and the experience of reading Innocents was THE best time I have ever had while reading.
2. Bait by M. Mabie- My heart is still beating over this story. The emotion, the angst. This book pushed me. It put my heart through the ringer. But I could not stop reading. Bait is raw. Holds nothing back. You feel everything. EVERYTHING.
3. Within These Walls by J.L. Berg- This story resonated with me on such a personal level. Absolutely stole my heart.
I laughed, I cried, I lived this book.
4. With The Father by Jenni Moen- With The Father is absolutely brilliant. This author challenges every single thing you thought you knew about forbidden romance. She has risen the bar for contemporary novels.
5. Ten Below Zero by Whitney Barbetti- OH THE FEELS! Ten Below Zero is not your average new adult story. It is such a refreshing read. It reminds you of your love for reading. It reminds you that there are authors out there that push and challenge any notion that we have about love and relationships. This is what reading is about. THIS BOOK. This author just goes there.
6. The Judge Me Not Series by S.R. Grey- Do you hear that? That's my heart still beating over this story. Not sure words can truly begin to describe how much I truly loved this story. Love is the most powerful thing that exists. It forgives. It heals. I Stand Before You attests to that. Love finds the person that puts your shattered pieces back together.
7. Song Of The Fireflies by J.A. Redmerski- This book has earned it's place as one of my favorite books EVER. As an avid reader, I look for books to make me feel. Well I didn't just feel this book, I LIVED it. I didn't just read this book, I EXPERIENCED it. This earth shattering, heartbreaking, yet beautiful story took me under it's spell.
8. This Is Falling/You And Everything After/Blindness by Ginger Scott--YES I am cheating with this one, but this woman can write her heart out! Her stories strongly supports the notion that despite the circumstances we face in life, we must not only recognize our capability to love, but accept the love we deserve. The love in her stories shatters the definition of true love in that it defies everything you ever believed about it. Yes. Their love shatters, yet it makes them whole.
9. Love Always, Kate by d. Nichole King- FEELS. Love, Always Kate? Oh it has FEELS. I cried a lot throughout this book. I cried through the happy times, the sad times. You will feel EVERY emotion while reading this story. Every Single. One. How can two people that have come face to face with death fall in love? Easy. They just do. Slowly. Passionately. Completely. Irrevocably. In. Love.
10. Bright Side by Kim Holden-These characters love with a love so deep, so self less, and enduring. Kellar and Kate? They will shatter any notion you have on love and life. This book might break you, but you will understand why. I totally get the message the author is saying. It’s because of books like this, I think reading is seriously the best thing in the world. For someone to use words to elicit real emotions. Absolutely beautiful.
11. Diving In by Stacey Wallace Benefiel- What I love most about this series and this author is that she takes chances. She goes where many books try and fall short. This story and the first one shatters the things you think you know about love. The love in Diving In is DEEP. It is unlike anything you will probably EVER read. The kind of love that sees no obstacles. Brynn and Gabe only see each other. The heart doesn’t know boundaries. It overcomes them. It is not until you love that you truly live.
12. Reclaiming The Sand by A. Meredith Walters- I LIVED this book. It consumed me. Although the writing is at a slower pace than what I am used to, it was flawless. It was breathtaking. I held on to every word. Flynn doesn't verbally discuss his love for Ellie, but you FEEL it. It is raw, passionate, and all consuming. He loves her like no one else can. unconditionally. His love goes where love doesn't go. It's deep. His love finds her in the dark and does not want to let go. And Ellie? You will hate her. You will be mad at her. But you will understand her. And her love for Flynn? It's so beautiful it hurts.
13. The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller by L.B. Simmons- This book completely changed the reading game for me. No more mediocre love stories. I want all consuming, soul-searching love like Aubrey and Kaeleb. This was my first book by this author and she will forever be on my "buy anything she writes" shelf. This book consumed me. It captivated my heart and I am not sure if I will ever get it back.
14. Stolen Course by Aly Martinez- Stolen Course attests to the fact that there is always light in darkness. It made me FEEL so many emotions while on this journey of love and forgiveness in Caleb's story. It made me believe that everything happens for a reason. That love and fate? They are completely interconnected. That your soul will always crave and find the one you are to love, no matter the circumstances. The love in this story is overpowering and all consuming. This beautiful story captivated my heart and left me speechless.
Honorable Mentions (I can't help myself!)
1. To Have And To Harm by Debra Doxer
2. Conflagration by Tessa Teevan
3. The Year We Fell Down by Sarina Bowen
4. Serendipity by Janet Nissenson
5. Lifers by Jane Harvey-Berrick
This year was really different for me. Whereas last year I loved contemporary, this year I tried to stay away from it a little more. This is due to a lot of books sounding the same from their descriptions. What this means is that this list will ultimately have quite a bit of urban fantasy, science fiction, and some contemporary.
Note: this list will not be in order, and not all of these books were released in 2014, but I did read them this year.
1. Banishing the Dark by Jenn Bennett
I love the Arcadia Bell series, and what a way to end it!!! Lon, Cady, and Jupe are such incredible characters, and i’m happy to say that this book ends their story in an extremely satisfying way.
2. Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover
This book was great. I mean, I don’t even like love triangles, so the fact that this one didn’t bother me in the least should be a big clue. Plus, Colleen did an amazing job of writing about disability, in a totally realistic and believable way.
3. Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews
I just love Kate and Curran. They’re one of the best urban fantasy couples in existence. Plus, this one had the infamous Roland, Kate’s father. After so much buildup, this book couldn’t have been anything less than epic. And that ending!!!! The next installment in this series can’t come fast enough!
4. The October Daye series by Seanan McGuire
So, I like my urban fantasy. And I like it with a great world, as well as a protagonist I can get behind. Not only does this series have both of these things, but it has them done beautifully. I just love Toby, and all of her character growth. Plus, she’s got an amazing group of friends, family, enemies, and an awesome, awesome love interest. Secrets, amazing romance, and dark and scary Fae. What more could you ask for? Once I started with book one back in the summer of this year, I quickly read all eight novels that are currently out in this series, and I suggest any urban fantasy reader do the same.
5. Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover
This book did have some faults for me, but overall? It was a great story about life and loss, done as only Colleen Hoover can do it. With pain, humor, and characters that you want to see happy.
6. Making Faces by Amy Harmon
So much emotion in this book, guys. Themes of life, death, love, and disability are very prominent. This book really brings everything, in the best of ways.
7. FaceTime by S.J. Pajonas
This book told the tale of a long-distance relationship, which was aided by technology. I found it to be just perfect for the era we’re in, what with smartphones and the internet. I found the story to be super-relatable, and the characters really likable.
8. Reunited by S.J. Pajonas
This was a great installment in the Nogiku series. There were twists, turns, and the characters of Sanaa and Jiro, whom I’ve come to love.
9. Before Jamaica Lane by Samantha Young
I love the On Dublin Street series, but this is my favorite out of the ones I have read so far. It was about a curvy girl, which I totally loved. There was romance, drama, and humor, and I couldn’t put it down.
10. The Eric Carter series by Stephen Blackmoore
This is a dark, gritty series that involves lots of things. Ghosts, gods(particularly Aztec death gods), and magic. I love it.
11. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
A Beauty and the Beast retelling done extremely well. It was dark, with flawed characters I came to love. Also, the world and mythology used in the book was amazing.
12. The Reece Malcolm List by Amy Spalding
This was a really good book about family. It was about a mother-daughter relationship, instead of romantic love. I definitely appreciated that, and feel like these kinds of books are too rare in YA.
13. The Clockwork Dagger by Beth Cato
Airships, romance, and a likable and independent heroine. All of these things combined to make an interesting steampunk that was heavy on the adventure, in an intriguing world.
14. Snow Falling on Bluegrass by Molly Harper
I LOVE Molly Harper’s writing. She writes contemporary romances that are usually hilarious, and not too angsty. Although this one made me hesitate because of the love triangle, I really liked it. The characters were likable and quirky, and the romance was believable. Definitely a great read when you want something funny.
If you haven’t read any of these books, I highly recommend you check them out. They’re all exciting in their own various ways, with great characters to follow. Whether you’re looking for gritty urban fantasy, exciting science fiction, or a good contemporary romance, I hope you find something from this list. I know they certainly helped make my 2014 a better reading year, so I hope they do the same for your 2015!
Here are my Top 14 of 2014!!! (In no particular order...)
1. Soul of Flame (Imdalind #4) by Rebecca Ethington
2. White Hot Kiss (Dark Elements #1) & Opposition by Jennifer Armentrout
3. Blood Beyond Darkness (Darkness #4) by Stacey Marie Brown
4. Eversea (Eversea #1) by Natasha Boyd
5. Transcendence by Shay Savage
6. Reclaiming the Sand by A. Meredith Walters
7. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
8. Flat-Out Celeste (Flat-Out Love #2) by Jessica Park
9. Evolution Angel (The Evolution #1) by Starla Huchton
10. The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass
11. King Hall (Forever Evermore #1) by Scarlett Dawn
12. Outlander (Outlander #1) by Diana Gabaldon
13. Under Different Stars by Amy Bartol
14. In Bloom (The Brightside #1) by Katie Delehanty
My top reads of 2014 in no particular order.
1. Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover ~ Ugly Loves left me emotional, breathless, and in one big book hangover. I cries, cheered, got frustrated, but and most of all I felt the emotions of the characters. It was truly beautiful, and a must read.
2. The Gypsy Brothers series By Lili St. Germain ~ I have loved this series, being on Julz’s passionate and crazy journey of vengeance, redemption, and retribution, and my first intro to the world of bikers.
3, Genevieve Clare by J.B Hartnett ~ A lovely heartfelt story that makes you think about death, and see how differently everyone deals with it.
4. Nocte by Courtney Cole ~ A beautifully written, cleverly crafted story, and emotional book that had me reaching for the tissues.
5. Broken Course by Aly Martinez ~ Was a great conclusion to the series. Beautiful, sexy, raw, angsty, powerful and at times brutal. And after reading the series will never look at vegetables in the same way
6. Be My December by Rachel Brookes ~ I got the perfect blend of angst, drama, humor, suspense, romance, and sexiness. #TeamKy
7. Chronicles of a Lincoln Park Fashionista by Aven Ellis A sweet, funny and romantic story with just the right amount of drama that left me with a big grin on my face. A must for hopeless romantics like myself.
8. Torrent by Gemma James I really enjoyed this one; it just goes to show I have a thing for dark, twisted erotic romance.
9. What If by Rebecca Donovan ~ I’m such a big fan of second chance stories. This was a touching and heart-warming read. I liked the concept of the story and the mystery aspect of it.
10. Come to Me Quietly by A.L. Jackson ~ It was an emotional and angst read both heartwarming, and heartbreaking at times.
11. Between the Raindrops by K. Pinson ~ I loved the humor, the sexiness, suspense, and mystery aspect of it.
12. Imperfectly Bad by A. E Woodward ~ I have loved this series but Rob’s story was the most emotional for me and the one I could related to the most.
13. More Than Forever by Jay McLean ~ A beautifully well-written, touching story about, young love, first love, true love, forever love, and all that come with it.
14. Lifers by Jane Harvey-Berrick ~ A Completely a beautiful, well-written, consuming read about love, forgiveness, second chances, and redemption.
Although I loved all the books on my list, I would like to single out my top 4 as my most favourite reads of 2014.
1. The Saint, Tiffany Reisz. These characters have ingrained themselves into my mind and heart forever! The thought, creativity and exquisite writing she puts into every book is enough to make me weep at every single word she puts on the page.
2. The King, Tiffany Reisz. Kingsley just happens to be my favourite character in this series. I wish he were real and all mine!
3. Lady Luck & Kaleidoscope (Colorado Mountain series, book 3 & 6), Kristen Ashley. Ty is my new top dog of all the KA alpha men. And the symbolism of the Kaleidoscope was beautiful and I loved every moment of the story.
4. The Will, Kristen Ashley. I have never cried so much reading a KA book as I did this one. The epilogue was to die for!
5. Ruin, Rachel Van Dyken. I don't normally fall for the sweet, but this story, much like the title, ruined me.
6. Beautiful Player, Christina Lauren. Not only hot, hot, hot, but also funny! Getting to know the fabulous Will and Hanna was a highlight of my reading this year.
7. Ugly Love, Colleen Hoover. I'm not a fan of flipping from the past to the present in books, but that's what gave Ugly Love the kick to the heart that made it so great.
8. Before You Break, Christina Lee. Emotional to the point of breaking, not only for the characters, but also for me as a reader.
9. Clipped Wings, Helena Hunting. One word...Hayden. He's now the resident "bad boy" in my heart.
10. The Wild Side series, R.K Liley. A series of three quick and HOT reads with a cool story line that had me racking my brain for answers.
11. Beyond Pain & Beyond Jealousy (Beyond series, book 3 & 4), Kit Rocha. So different from all the others. It's like nothing I've ever read before. I'm in love with this dystopian erotica series!
12. Screwdrivered & Mai Tai'd Up (Cocktail series, book 3 & 4), Alice Clayton. It's always good times with an Alice Clayton book. Light, funny as hell and full of love!
13. Until Nico, Aurora Rose Reynolds. From the first chapter I fell in love with Nico. Smiled till my face hurt, ultimate alpha insta-love at its finest!
14. Better When he's Bad, Jay Crownover. Suspense, action, adventure and most importantly, love. This book had a little of everything, including giving me anxiety.
1. Tiffany Reisz (The Original Sinners, 1-4) (The Original Sinners: White Years #1 & #2) I fell in love with this series because my co-blogger/bff told me that this series would own my body and soul. And IT DID!! This group of stories not only changed the way I conceive words, but the way I interpret life as a whole. Tiffany is a rare being and I’m just kind of grateful that my friend told me I MUST read this series. Seriously the best book shit I’ve ever read. And thank you Erin. Love U. Soren rocked myfontuckyyyyyy world.
2. Tiffany Reisz (Jordan) Seriously… So good…. Small, but mighty.
3. Veiled Innocence by Ella Frank, I’ve never in my book life cried so hard for non-normal crying reasons. This book is simply Amazing beyond words. There are so many different facets and crazy idiosyncrasies that will blow your mind. Plus, it’s hot as hell!!! Mr. M Can be my whiskeyyyyyyyguy any day. Or night.
4. Dirty Angels by Karina Halle, Crime-hotness…. Period…. And Slasher- style crap! I’ve got knives in lowwwwww places….
5. Night Owl by M. Pierce, Intrigue/hot internet shit/hot/mysterious/hot-----Did I say hot? I’m pretty sure Robe’s are a thing now…. Just sayin.
6. Burning Up by Marie Coulson, AMAZING sequel. Done...~~TRIANGLE HEAVEN
7. Hero by Samantha Young, Caine=Sex on a stick. YUM. Just yum
8. Unteachable by Leah Raeder, RollercoasterDelight. TEEEEacher insight.
9. TAKE by Ella Frank, My two favorite ROOOSTERSSSSS.
10. In Bloom by Katie Delahanty, Rock Star Blissss
11. With The Father by Jenni Moen, Fucked uppppppWhateverrrr. Whatchamacalit. Such a good brain warp!
12. The Masseuse by Sierra Kincade, sweeeeeeeet bodyguardlovinnnn.
13. Falling For Fate by Caisey Quinn, So good and HOTTTTTT!
14. Spend the Night (The Hotel Collection) by Elizabeth Lee, HolyHotelbootyshakinHotSerialMakinLOVE!